You’re probably thinking that this is the oddest thing I’ve ever made. And I’ll be honest — you’re probably right. I mean, this concoction had to ferment for two weeks… I don’t think it gets any stranger! The benefits are wonderful though, and I noticed them within the first few times of taking the tonic. Basically, fire cider tonic, as it’s come to be called, offers a whole bunch of overall immune and digestive system support. It stops colds in their tracks, contains lots of antibacterial goodness, and provides plenty of vitamin C and prebiotics. You’ll notice immediately that meals digest easier and, for those with chronic digestive issues, I’ve read that post-meal bloating cramping, and discomfort become nearly nonexistent.
So, how does apple cider vinegar tonic work?
Each of the high-power ingredients has something great to offer!
- Onions are weirdly powerful! From regulating blood sugar and fighting cancer, to boosting absorption of vitamin C, this kitchen-staple does it all!
- Ginger root is quite disgusting (even candied), in my opinion. It’s bitter and hot, but it’s benefits are worth the flavor! Despite its acquired taste, the benefits of ginger have been proven — you can expect to see reduced pain, inflammation and risk of heart disease. It’s even been shown to reverse diabetes by naturally improving insulin sensitivity!
- Apple cider vinegar is a digestive powerhouse. While the claims that apple cider vinegar can help you lose weight may not be entirely true, there are plenty of other benefits. It keeps blood sugar levels consistent, helps your gut cultivate healthy bacteria, and may help maintain pH levels.
- Cayenne Pepper is another digestive aid that also prevents allergies, supports a healthy metabolism, and relieves pain… just to name a few of its powers!
- Lemons and limes are full of vitamins and antioxidants to give your immune system a healthy jump.
- Garlic is related to the onion and is beneficial in treating and preventing issues like high blood pressure, joint pain, and the common cold.
What you need (makes about 16 servings):
- 1/4 red onion
- 2 inches ginger root (5 if you have a juicer)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 lime (skin removed)
- 1 lemon (skin removed)
- 2 cloves garlic
What to do:
- Add everything to a juicer. A blender will work if you don’t have a juicer!!
- Refrigerate for 2 weeks so it gets nice and potent.
When you’re ready to enjoy,
mix 1 tsp (or up to 1 Tbsp) of the tonic with two Tbsp of water and drink it 10-15 minutes before meals. Or, add honey and mix into tea!
While it may not be the deliciously sweet apple cider we love to drink as fall approaches, this apple cider vinegar tonic is the perfect cold prevention system leading into the winter. It’ll warm you right up and build your immunity! So, raise a glass and toast to your health. Enjoy!
Nutrition Info (per 1 Tbsp): 5 calories, 0 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 15 mg sodium, 14 mg potassium, 1 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 0 g sugar, 0 g protein