Banana bread is amazing. That was never a question. I was looking up new ideas for using overripe bananas, but this new banana bread recipe is what really stood out to me. I added the pumpkin because I didn’t have enough banana, but it turned out great. t think it might be a new favorite—even Jeremy liked it and he usually hates my healthy food!
I got the recipe from the blog, Chocolate Covered Katie. If you like healthy food, especially desserts, I highly encourage you to check out her blog! I changed the recipe a bit to fit what I had on hand, and really liked how it turned out! So, that’s the version you’ll see here.
*Update 1/6/15: I made this recipe again with 1 1/3 cup mashed banana and 2/3 cup mashed mango (no pumpkin puree). It was just as delicious, though not as gooey… for a gooey mango version, cook 35 minutes.
What you need (serves 10):
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup milk of choice/oil
- 1 and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup agave or maple syrup (As you know, I’m in love with Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Blue Agave)
- 1 and 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice (I used lime)
- 1 stevia/sugar packet (or 1 extra tbsp syrup/agave)
- 1 and 2/3 cup tightly packed, mashed banana (measure after mashing; you can use apple sauce to make up the difference, but you don’t want more than 1/2 cup of apple sauce)
- 1/3 cup berries of choice (I used extra strawberries like Katie did, and it was definitely very gooey! Blackberries would be yummy too!)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mash the bananas.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a bowl, and the dry ingredients in another.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix just until you see no more dry ingredients.
- Bake for 35-50 minutes (depending on how gooey you like it).
Nutrition information for strawberry version: 163 calories, .7 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 338.3 mg sodium, 38.7 g carbs, 4.2 g fiber, 17.9 g sugar, 3.8 g protein
Nutrition information for mango version: 172 calories, .7 g fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 496.2 mg sodium, 41 g carbs, 4.2 g fiber, 3.8 g protein