Do I even need to say it? Pizza is ALWAYS a good idea. I’ve gotten into the habit of getting pizza about every other week, but these pizza balls make it so much healthier (not to mention cheaper). They also make a fun little appetizer for parties… I don’t think I really need to convince you of pizza’s other merits, so let’s get to it!
What you need (makes 8-10 pizza balls):
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup canned or cooked pinto beans
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp dry basil (or about 4 tsp fresh)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar of choice
- About 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (or vegan option to make the whole recipe vegan)
- A block works best, but you can get by with shredded
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking sheet (or cover in foil and spray lightly with cooking spray). Set aside.
- Mash the beans completely in a medium bowl.
- Stir in all remaining ingredients. Taste to see if you need more sweetener.
- Roll into balls, push cheese into the center, and roll back up.
- Place the balls on the baking sheet and cook 30 minutes. Let broil for a minute at the end for a crispy outer shell
Nutrition Information (per 5 pizza balls): 336 calories, 3.7 g fat, 6.7 mg cholesterol, 144.1 mg sodium, 1,121.2 mg potassium, 75.5 g carbs, 24.2 g fiber, 17 g sugars, 22.5 g protein